Start the Switch
AYCC is excited to present the youth sustainability leadership summit, ‘Start the Switch’. Students can look forward to two high energy days where over 100 young leaders come together to get connected and skilled up to create real and lasting change in their schools and communities.
Both AYCC and Empower WA recognise that climate change and sustainability are the most pressing issues of our time. Youth involvement is paramount in the transition to a sustainable future. With a passion for this mission, AYCC has grown to over 70,000 members in 4 years and is leading the way in inspiring and empowering young people.
After exhaustive research arising from the City of Melbourne’s youth policy, a need for a youth sustainability leadership program was identified. The City of Melbourne approached the AYCC as experts in youth engagement on sustainability to create and run such a program, leading to the creation of ‘Start the Switch’.
The first ‘Start the Switch’ summit, held at the Victoria State Library, brought together 150 high school students and led to the formation of 15 new school sustainability groups. These student groups have gone on to implement a range of exciting sustainability projects, from creating a school veggie patch or a school recycling scheme through to organising a fundraiser to get solar panels on the school roof. They had been given the skills, confidence and team support structures to enable them to carry out sustainability projects in their schools and communities, and are individually mentored by young AYCC volunteers.
For the first time, we’re bringing ‘Start the Switch’ to Perth, to inspire and empower WA students with the leadership skills to help them launch fun and engaging sustainability projects in your school and community.
Start the Switch details:
- A two-day summit – leadership training, workshops, keynote speakers, team activities
- Projects – initiation of ongoing projects, guiding mentors for each school group, online and offline support, dedicated website, resources, training modules, social network.
- Summit – 9:00am-3:30pm Friday 22 June and 9:30am-5:00pm Saturday 23 June.
- Projects – Ongoing until June, 2013.
- Students who are in years 9 to 11 in 2012.
- Central Institute of Technology - 25 Aberdeen St, Perth.
- This is a free event.
- School acknowledgement for students’ absence on Friday 22 June.
- At least 7 students must register per school.
- Event is limited to 15 schools.
- Registrations close Friday 15th June.
Making a booking:
Making a tentative booking is easy. Simply register your interest here. While the booking is non-obligatory and can be cancelled at any time, it allows us to provide your school with promotional support. Schools will be included on a first-come, first-served basis.
Feel free to contact us at email@example.com or 0411442881 if you have any questions.
25 Aberdeen St
Perth, WA 6000